Sunday 17 February 2013

the waiting game

After spending an amazingly beautiful, fun-filled yet cold week in Gothenburg and Stockholm with Hugo, I found myself at Copenhagen airport waiting for exactly seven hours between flights. With a Camera and a Kindle on low battery, a phone soon to be heading that way and no laptop, I desperately wondered how would be the best way to pass the time without these things to hand.

After doing several laps of the inside of the airport, I rushed inside the stationary shop and bought myself a big black notebook and some felt-tip pens (stationary being weirdly difficult to get hold of in Italy). I sat down and began scribbling away, first not really sure what I'd fill the pages with, but then all of a sudden forgetting my terrible artistic skills and the fact I've not needed to write much nowadays and began to sketch out silly little stories.

I quickly made myself comfortable at the coffee place with a view out onto the runway (to catch the few hours of sunlight I was going to get to see), huddled over my notebook, put pen to paper and watched those seven hours pass like they were seven minutes.



It's odd to think how reliant most of us are on technology nowadays. How it's this which shapes and controls our life now, so I felt refreshed feeling like I'd escaped it (half by force) for such a long period of time.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so perfect. Story-writing is such a fun thing to do to pass the time!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete