Monday 15 October 2012

the settling-in days

I have been in Parma now for a little under five days, getting myself completely accustomed to the unexpectedly grey, drizzly, dreary mid-October days here in this city. I am already loving it.

I have to admit that even from less than five days' experience of the way things are done here I know it'll be driving my stolidly English mind slowly crazy before long as I'll be sure to experience not having teachers turn up to the lessons on time, having to wait for an hour and a half to see a guy in charge who I was told would "be there soon", but of course the fun is in the experience, and mixed with all these things there have been some wonderful moments already. 

I have already met some great people - locals and foreigners just like me - and have experienced new things with them (on Saturday I went to a rugby match... didn't understand a thing but enjoyed the company and the atmosphere and the extremely Irish after party!). I've cooked some new dishes and am slowly but surely getting accustomed to having to turn the boiler on two hours before I want a shower.

But this is all such a wonderfully liberating experience - seeing how a whole nation go about their lives in an entirely different way to England. 

- Wandering about the markets which are everywhere on a Sunday, and sell everything, because absolutely no normal shop is open sensible hours.

- Working out when and where to pay when in a café or a restaurant.

- Knowing that if you want anything done quickly, it just ain't gonna happen...

- Nightclubs are all strategically placed outside of the city centre so a 15 minute bus journey is required.

- It's not polite to scoff all the buffet food whilst out for aperitivi (though this certainly did not stop us)

I'm so far loving the difference that living in Italy has brought to my lifestyle, though praying for much better weather for my Dad's visit starting from tomorrow... I've saved all the extremely touristy things for his trip to see me, so that we can while away the hours wandering round the galleries, churches and museums and I can listen to all the facts he's soaked up like a sponge throughout his life and get to know the historical, not just the (Italian-style) functional side of this beautiful City.

Here are a few pics.

Making the most of the little sunshine there's been!

Connacht vs. Zebre (aka big men with big necks)

The best Gelateria in town

A dog in a pub

The first building I properly stopped and stared at.
Still my favourite.

The ceiling of one of the chapels in the Duomo di Parma

Padlocks on the bridge - and a tree from The Lion King in the background.


No comments:

Post a Comment