Monday 22 October 2012

waiting for something to happen


Although I may be settling into life here in Parma, and going out, spending time with new friends, slowly getting adjusted to wearing a coat even when in England the optimists would go without, my life is still lacking that one important thing which, being English to the core (and there's no helping that really), I crave.

Structure.


Having had a meeting the other day (moved from 11 to 12 to 1 to 3 to 3:30) and hearing first-hand that "no one can really be bothered to arrive until November and none of the lessons officially start until then", at least I understand that this is the way. But the fact of the matter remains that without a plan laid out for me each day, I simply do not know what to do with myself. I find it so difficult getting myself up and out of bed and out the appartment if I don't know where I need to be or what I should be doing.

But thankfully I at least have practise rooms available to me so I can finally sing again and I am so glad about this. But when I'm not spending two hours in each practise room, waving my arms about, making silly warm-up noises, doing my own kind of form of yoga and wondering if the loud echo in the room means that people in the corridor can hear me, what is it that I should do with my time?

I've been walking, drinking tea, going out for drinks and watching far too many American TV series but I feel horrendously un-productive.

Today, after another horrendously slow start, I'm off to a practise room to start composing music for my Mum's wedding. This little project she set me is giving me something to look forward to completing. I'm enjoying the prospect of finally sitting down with a pen in hand and manuscript in the other and writing something for a purpose.

Here are two pictures of the mundane activities I have so far been participating in....

Arranging tea boxes.

Making pasta patterns.

So hello. If anyone feels like coming to visit me and going on an adventure then please do. I clearly need some better entertainment!

No comments:

Post a Comment