Saturday 10 November 2012

the autumn leaves

In terms of lessons here, I am actually having some now. I am absolutely loving the challenge of being in a place so full-to-bursting with fantastic singers in all shapes and sizes. Walking through the corridors of the Conservatorio on this foggy yet peaceful and pleasantly cool Saturday, I could hear snippets of everyone's practise (the singers being the loudest and most easily-audible by far owing to most of them having what seems like iron-like lungs) and felt so happy to have got in to this place.

My teachers are throwing handfuls and handfuls of the most Italian pieces of music for Soprano they can find at me, as well as some truly mind-opening advice. My favourite of the pieces is currently this one sung by Cecilia Bartoli especially.

The standard of the performers and the teaching here, in comparison to Newcastle has made me have to re-think my whole daily routine, as what I had been doing in terms of hours of practise simply isn't enough. And every time a fellow singer sits in on my lesson, or I theirs, they always seem to have a quality in their voice which I too would love to work towards. So I leave every lesson feeling happy, but oh-so-downhearted at the same time.

And then I hop on my bike and take a cycle round the Parco Ducale. 




This wonderful place is so full of life at the moment, especially half-swathed in fog, with millions and millions of red and gold leaves scattered about. I plug myself in to my iPod and pedal with the music. Today was a pretty long cycle - long enough to finish the album I was listening to and to get to see the wind help the leaves off the trees and land them gracefully on the ground.



This is one of my favourite things to do at the moment, as it leaves me time to think about things, and to get my perspective straight after another terrifying yet enjoyable lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment