Saturday 3 November 2012

when I'm not sleeping

I'm still suffering under the terrible habit of being unable to get myself out of bed when there is not a real reason to leave it. This is typical Autumn-into-Winter syndrome; when the air becomes crisper, the days become shorter and sure enough the streets start emptying themselves as if everyone wants to hibernate until Spring arrives. I too am included.

It means that I know full well I'm not making the most of every single day. Sometimes I wake up and see a glorious day outside and am very sorry I missed it.

But with the ever-drawing-closer arrival of real lessons at a real hour of the day (including a choir rehearsal at 9:30 in the morning... which I still am struggling to wrap my head around), I'll be more inclined to spend more afternoons like this:

I genuinely did learn a song by candlelight.

A happy wander round the streets of Parma and an elevated mood after a
 fabulous sing
led me to look up at the sky and marvel at its artistic streak.

But these were exceptions to the rule (of being lazy). And it's nigh on impossible to live every day in all its glory. Even someone like me, with such an eager, positive viewpoint about this year cannot spend every day being impressed and blown away by everything all the time. 

I remain, therefore, pleasantly enchanted by this vibrant and through-and-through Italian City but do would rather get to know it slowly through moments like the above. Each then has its place in my heart as a stand-out moment, and I will come to look back on all of my stay here in Italy very fondly, instantly forgetting the days I felt like I was stuck in a rut, refusing to leave the cosy confines of my wonderfully thick duvet (though maybe I'll remember these moments fondly too).

No comments:

Post a Comment