Wednesday 16 January 2013

appreciating England

On the day I arrive back in Parma, I realise this title is perhaps a tad inappropriate, but I felt like my recently enhanced love for Great Britain needed to be put into words, and the pictures I collected over the past month being back in my home country.

Speaking to many foreign students here in Parma, I would always be told how great London is, and how everyone loved or would love to visit. I would mostly nod and smile, thinking 'yeah but it's not so special for me because it's right on my doorstep'. In fact my opinion of the whole of England was mostly the same. I was in Italy, living an exciting life in a strange but wonderful country full of strange but interesting habits and England had become second-best and maybe even slightly boring.

But then in the last few weeks before I came home for Christmas, I started noticing the bigger differences between the two places. As the weather started getting colder and the days darker, I found I had more time left to myself to think about things. And a lot of it came down to realising how lucky I am to come from where I come from. The things I'd usually take for granted were suddenly not at my fingertips. Be them proper British foodstuffs or an old friend.

So when I touched down in London Gatwick I was buzzing with excitement. The first time being back in my country for more than half a week since September filled me with joy, so I vowed to make the most of my time here. Family, friends and boyfriend.

Here are just a few highlights.
 
Matching PJ's, the dog squishing the presents, a trip to the cinema and  good food in two places.

A trip to see Billy Elliot with my younger Brother.

New Years' Eve drinks in London, New Years' Day ice cream on Brighton Beach.
The gorgeous New Year Sunshine:
start the year as you mean to go on

Time with the Boyfriend
Natural History Museum and tasty fish and chips before a trip to the Barbican.

The tiniest hint of snow out my bedroom window to see me on my way.

So hello again Parma, let's see if you can compete with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment