Wednesday 5 September 2012

mia madre

After a long skype to my mum tonight, during which she asked me why she had not yet been mentioned in my blog, I decided to post about her. The past year was sometimes very difficult for me for many many reasons, but throughout all of it I always had my mum close at hand (if not in person, certainly via some form of electronic communication!). This month away at language school will be no different thanks to the wonders of technology, and what makes this month even more special is that my Mum did the same thing in Austria around thirty years before. Although many things have probably changed since then, and I'm not learning the same language as her, it's interesting hearing the similarities and differences between the two. I also know that if my mother made it out alive the other side, then so can I!

Of course, I never hear her speak much German, but the little I do know has mostly come from her reminiscing about her time spent abroad. I may get my love of history and culture from my Father but I have my mother to thank for my love of languages. Together they seem to have fashioned me into some kind of culture-sucking machine, always keen to try new things and always keen to try out a new sentence or talk to someone new.

It's not directly due to my mother that I find myself here in Firenze this September but it is so comforting to have someone so closely-related to me and with whom I spent many a car journey regaling - with plans of this and that, of future dreams and up-coming events - who can sort-of-directly relate.



Here is my mummy and me, separated by an hours' time difference an several countries (depending on which way you travel), but ever remaining the same.

Lots of love to Mother, who I hope will be happy now that she's been mentioned in a blog..!!

No comments:

Post a Comment