Saturday 15 September 2012

the start of a new chapter

Yesterday was my first ever visit to the city of Parma. This is where I'll be spending the whole of my actual erasmus year abroad after I finish at the language school in Firenze. I went there yesterday to house-hunt.

As per usual, I took a photo of everything I possibly could, but this time in black and white. After seeing my friend Ellie's post of Düsseldorf in b/w, I was inspired to create my own. It felt justified as my time spent in Parma yesterday was not as a resident but as a tourist. I was Dorothy in Kansas. When I move there officially in October, I'll be moving to Oz (and hopefully not having to witness any flying monkeys...) and spending my days drinking in the beauty and colour of the extremely sophisticated and tranquil city in the north of Italy.


Statue in Parco Ducale

 We arrived at Parma station at 10am after an extremely well-air-conditioned two hour long train journey and bought a ridiculous map which took my friend and I about ten minutes to open and close every time we wanted to look at where anything was. My first impression was of a silent town. With no people and no cars and not even much of a river; just a dried-up old thing left behind between the two halves of the City.

So we began to hunt. The first two room-viewings I had were not inspiring to say the least. One was dirty and in an extremely dubious-looking neighbourhood. The second one was the same plus the added bonus of two practically rabid and angry dogs and a cat sat on "my possible future bed" covering the questionable mattress stains... I wish I were exaggerating (okay maybe about the rabid dogs...).

We left the second viewing in silence, and walked to find the third and final. I have to admit I was not yet inspired by living in Parma. I had such a fear that I hadn't found a connection with the city, that it wasn't letting me feel welcome. The clouds and the chill in the air did not help in the slightest.


But then it all changed when we walked into the centre of the city. The clouds passed and the sun shone, and the people started appearing - nearly every single one of them on a bicycle. I found the Conservatorio Arrigo Boito - the music college which has kindly opened its doors to me for this academic year - and the place was beautiful. Though I'll save pictures of the inside of the building for another post on another day.


After a brief tour of the cloisters (yes that's right - cloisters!) and discussing things in Italian to some of the people who worked in the Office, we meandered our way back alongside the river to view the final house. It was perfect. And now I'm waiting patiently to hear back if I'll be allowed to live there or not. But my fingers have been crossed since I left that sweet little Italian apartment!

A bicycle seems to be a must in this city, so I'm thankful that my man took me on a bike ride this summer before he left for Sweden and built up my confidence a bit.


After first impressions being truly uninspiring I slowly started to fall in love with this place, even more so when I found all the people (considering how deserted anywhere outside the centre seemed) and saw that oh-so-stereotypical Italian architecture which fills every town with its own character. It was gorgeous. And I was so glad!

It's always scary starting out somewhere new, so I find it the most important thing to find its charming qualities and really appreciate them.

A unique clock tower in the centre of Parma

Dappled sunlight on the frontispieces of the shops

Now that I'm one step closer to finding a home in this city, I'm almost ready to accept offers of visits! Any takers?




1 comment:

  1. I love this slow immersion into your life in Parma. Fingers crossed for your apartment!

    ReplyDelete