Tuesday 11 September 2012

one sunny sunday in siena

The Sunday just gone was spent traversing the streets of Siena. 

It took us a while to get going but we finally managed to navigate ourselves away from the station and to the actual City Centre via some complicated escalator system which takes you right up the hill.

It was such a beautiful day, as it always seems to be in Tuscany, and all the old old buildings looked so impressive against such a strong blue in the sky. It was extremely stunning.

The whole place is surprisingly different from the tourist-infested streets of Firenze; it's much calmer and all the tourists seem much less urgent in their explorations of the City.

Here are a few of my favourite moments from the wonderful day we spent there:

A gorgeous sign I saw on the way to the City Centre

First glimpse of Il Campo

Siena's passion for flags and what I think are lights in the shape of fish....

A serious pig.

I loved this so much; a display outside a shop near la Piazza del Duomo

Some amazing vintage cars taking part in the Euroclassic. And me posing like a tourist beside them.

On the way to lunch.

The floor in il Duomo.

The big lesson I've learnt in Italy is that there's always something to see on the ceiling. So lavish!

I loved this day so much, and even more so because everything reminded me of my Dad and his love of culture and art and anything beautiful; buildings, cars, paintings... So I hope one day we'll both get to go back there!

1 comment:

  1. Love the tip to look at the cieling :D

    Also the pig. What is it with Italians dressing animals up?

    I can't wait until I visit you and Ellie!

    ReplyDelete